Junior Shop Helper
October 25 2018, Clarkdale VW
Junior Shop Helper
Service Process Manager
The Shop Helper is primarily responsible for assisting technicians, which includes performing minor mechanical repairs and servicing on vehicles. The Shop Helper is also responsible for performing shop and tool maintenance, providing back-up to the Team, and for assisting customers as directed by the Service Advisors.
This is an entry-level position for a technician apprentice. It is expected that the person in the position will demonstrate the initiative, attitude and ability to progress to an apprenticeship.
Duties and Responsibilities
Each employee at Clarkdale Motors will demonstrate environmental awareness and responsibility in the performance of duties and will participate in the continuous improvement of process, quality, personal development and team performance. Commitment, communication and team spirit are fundamental to teamwork and vital to service excellence, and are part of every job and every performance review.
Compliance with departmental, company and manufacturer operating standards and government legislation pertaining to individual job performance is expected. Specific duties and responsibilities described may change from time to time to better serve the team, the company and customers.
Job Part: Servicing and Maintenance of Shop, Tools and Equipment
· Clean up and replace loose tools.
- Clean up paper, wrap material, etc.
- Pick up dirty rags; place in dirty rag container.
- Ensure that oil buckers are empty; if not empty report to Service Process Manager.
- Receive new tools; mark and store in tool room.
- Check fluid levels in hoists and airline lubricators.
- Skim parts washer.
- Clean tire machine and balancer; refill weights.
- Clean turntables on alignment machine.
- Clean CO machine.
- Clean VAG 5051 and two VAG 1551 machines.
- Clean and lubricate floor jacks and transmission jacks.
- Check and fill all floor dry containers at technician stalls.
- Check cutting torch operation; ensure tanks are full; clean equipment.
- Check and clean motor oil pumps.
- Refill brake bleeders.
- Check crushed filter and used coolant; arrange pickup if necessary.
- Clean debris out of solvent parts washers.
- Organize tools above tire machine.
- Wipe and clean computer terminals.
- Clean up and scrap all used parts.
- Ensure supply of floor soap.
- Clean parts washer.
- Change oil in compressors.
- Change oil in pressure washer.
- Check and report levels on fire extinguishers.
As required Activities:
- Perform updates to alignment machine.
- Assist in other areas as required, i.e. Lot Attendant, shuttle bus, etc.
Job Part: Service Technician Support
- Open shop; turn on lights, fans, compressors.
- Assist journeyman technicians.
- Shuttle vehicles in and out of shop; locate customer cars; new cars to ballpark.
- Order and pick up parts for technicians.
Job Part: Customer Service Support
- Provide assistance and back-up for Car Wash Attendant.
- Perform quick service assistance for customers such as oil changes, bulbs, etc.
- Provide back-up for Courtesy Driver.
Job Part: WCB Occupational Health and Safety
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of WCB and WHMIS regulations, company policies and work procedures.
- Observe all regulations pertaining to work practices.
- Maintain a clean, organized and safe work area.
- Report safety issues to the Safety Committee or Service Manager.
Internal: All Service employees, Sales Department, Parts Department
Hours of work: 10 hour shifts, 4 days per week as scheduled by management
Equipment: Hoist, hand tools, power tools, shop equipment (i.e. press, hoist, jack, hand tools, tire machine/balancer, scope, scanner, etc)
- Moving about the dealership to complete auto service and repair.
- Using tools consistent with industry standards.
- Using computer to seek information; perform diagnostics.
- Standing for six to eight hours in a shift.
- Bending, stretching, lifting, reaching and climbing.
- Utilizing physical and manual dexterity.
- Lifting up to 50 pounds or more.
- Driving or pushing vehicles.
Other: Exposure to noise, vibration, paint, dust, exhaust fumes, other hazardous materials, extreme heat and/or cold.
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- Pre-apprenticeship course
- Mechanic Licence mandatory
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License and Safe Driving Record.
- Able to drive both a standard and an automatic transmission vehicle.
- Able to read and comprehend instructions and information.
- Able to express ideas clearly, orally and in writing.
- Effective customer service skills; able to effectively handle customer inquiries and complaints.
- Interpersonal skills including communication and conflict resolution.
- Team attitude; able to work well with others and to lead others.
- Independent – work well with minimal supervision.
- Focus on quality and service excellence.
- Able to manage time well and work effectively under pressure of deadline.
- Analytical; innovative; problem solving aptitude.